It all started with Nils Luoma’s interest in boats and boat life. The founder of Nautor, Pekka Koskenkylä, saw a sailboat built by Luoma and this led to Luoma being hired as a foreman in the assembly department at Nautor in 1969. Together with four others, Luoma founded Baltic Yachts 1973. After 5 years he started as production manager at Nykra in Uusikaarlepyy where he worked for about 1 and a half years. In December 1978 he started building two racing sailboats. This was the start of Scandi Yacht and the company was founded in 1980. Karlsson started working at the company in 1987 when Luoma was the CEO and production manager until 2008 when the change of ownership took place and Östen Karlsson took over the position as CEO. Together with the change of ownership the company name changed to Scandi Yachts.
Below is a list of other boat designers we have worked with and the boats they have designed:
- Eivind Amble, Fram VIII for the then-Crown Prince Harald of Norway
- Peter Norlin, Big Foot (now, Sure Foot) and Big Foot II
- Reino Karpio, the trimaran Rauma-Repola
- Rolf Eliassson, Villenvene (now Tuuli) which was the first Overseas 40 that was built and RK 12 (Kumpuranta VII)
- Jussi Mannerberg, Mannerberg 40